Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Family Values

Figure out a guiding set of principals as your moral compass. I grew up a Scout and have been a leader most of my adult life and all of my children are Scouts so a logical choice would be the Scout Oath and Law. I used these until I pledged Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity whose cardinal principals are Virtue, Diligence, and Brotherly Love. I thought that these principals boiled down the Scout Oath and Law pretty well.

Are my actions virtuous? Am I being diligent in working to make my virtuous actions a reality? Are those actions helping others? A Robert E. Lee quote also reminds me of what I should do. "Do your duty in all things. You can never do more. You should never wish to do less."

Growing up Baptist and now Presbyterian, my Christian faith is the foundation that supports these less sacred ideals. Here again, Lee summed it up well, "I am but a lowly sinner, trusting in Christ alone for my salvation." Let whatever your faith be the basis for how you muddle through life, doing the best you can, working daily to be better.

No comments: